A veneer is a thin piece of porcelain which can alter the colour, shape and overall appearance of the tooth in question. Often applied to numerous teeth, veneers can give your smile a whole new shape and leave you feeling more confident.
Made from porcelain, each veneer is very thin and is only used to cover the surface of the tooth. Veneers are generally fixed to the front of your teeth to improve their appearance.
Veneers may sometimes be made using composite material. These are also long lasting, a little cheaper than porcelain lab made veneers, and with the right techniques, your dentist can create a beautiful, natural looking smile. A composite veneer is often used in cases where someone needs a minor correction to be made to a tooth, such as a small chip.
Usually completed over two or three appointments, veneers are a fantastic solution to stained, broken, or chipped teeth. Whilst veneers won’t reposition your teeth, they can be used to mask minor alignment issues and to give your teeth and smile a healthier appearance.
Benefits of porcelain veneers
- Last for up to 10 years
- Natural finish
- Improve the appearance of teeth
- Veneers ideally require minimal to ‘no’ preparation of the teeth prior to treatment
- It is important however to keep the preparation of the tooth within enamel where possible, as porcelain veneers are applied (bonded) onto the tooth and require enamel for maximum bond strength
- Our dentist will works closely with both you, the patient, and the laboratory in order to establish an appropriate look for the teeth before any tooth structure is removed
- Once we are all happy with the proposed design, we will then prepare the teeth with plenty of anesthesia and cooling water to ensure the integrity and health of the tooth remains intact
- Dental impressions or scans are then taken and sent to the laboratory for the pre-designed veneers to be made
- Prior to treatment, you will be provided with temporary veneers, which resemble your future veneers in terms of both shape and contour
- Once the laboratory has curated your veneers, you will return for a follow up appointment where under anesthesia, the porcelain veneers will be bonded into place
- Once treatment is complete you are free to go, equipped with your brand new smile!